FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is a government body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The FSSAI is responsible for regulating and overseeing the safety and quality of food in India.FSSAI is responsible for setting standards for food products, regulating their manufacturing, processing, packaging, distribution, and sale, and ensuring compliance with these standards by food businesses across the country. It also promotes consumer awareness about food safety and quality and works to eliminate adulteration and substandard food products from the market.
FSSAI Central License
FSSAI Central License is a type of license issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), which is a regulatory authority responsible for ensuring food safety and standards in India. The FSSAI Central License is mandatory for certain food businesses operating at a larger scale, and it is required for businesses that engage in interstate food trade or have a turnover that exceeds a specified limit.
Food Business Operators (FBOs) in India who require FSSAI registration include:
- Petty retailers and retail shops: This includes businesses such as grocery stores, snack shops, bakeries, and confectionery shops.
- Temporary or fixed food stalls: This includes businesses such as gol gappa stalls, chat stalls, fruit and vegetable vendors, tea stalls, snacks stalls, bread pakoda stalls, samosa stalls, Chinese food stalls, South Indian food stalls, sweet stalls, and juice shops.
- Hawkers: This includes businesses that sell packaged or freshly prepared food by traveling from one location to another.
- Dairy units: This includes milk chilling units, petty milkmen, and milk vendors.
- Vegetable oil processing units: This includes businesses that process vegetable oils such as soybean oil, sunflower oil, and mustard oil.
- Slaughtering houses: This includes businesses that slaughter animals for meat production.
- Meat and fish processing units: This includes businesses that process meat and fish products such as sausages, burgers, and fish fillets.
- Food manufacturing or processing units: This includes businesses that manufacture or process food products such as bread, biscuits, snacks, and beverages.
- Proprietary and novel food businesses: This includes businesses that manufacture or sell proprietary or novel food products, such as functional foods and fortified foods.
- Cold/refrigerated storage facilities: This includes businesses that provide cold or refrigerated storage for food products.
- Transporters of food products: This includes businesses that transport food products in specialized vehicles such as insulated refrigerated vans and milk tankers.
- Wholesalers, suppliers, distributors, and marketers of food products: This includes businesses that sell food products in bulk to other businesses or directly to consumers.
- Hotels, restaurants, and bars: This includes businesses that serve food and beverages to customers on-premises.
- Canteens and cafeterias: This includes businesses that serve food and beverages to employees or students in workplaces or educational institutions.
- Food vending agencies and caterers: This includes businesses that provide food and beverages for events and catering services.
- Dhabas, PGs, banquet halls, and home-based canteens: This includes businesses that provide food and beverages to travelers, guests, and attendees of events.
- Importers and exporters of food items: This includes businesses that import or export food products, including food ingredients.
- E-commerce food suppliers: This includes businesses that sell food products online.
The type of FSSAI license or registration required depends on the size and nature of the business.
It is important to note that all FBOs in India are required to obtain an FSSAI registration or license, regardless of size or type. Failure to do so can result in penalties such as fines and imprisonment.
For large-scale food businesses, FBOs engaged in manufacturing, importing, and exporting must obtain Central FSSAI registration from the Central Government. This category encompasses the following types of businesses:
For FBOs, a turnover exceeding Rs 20 crore (Rs 30 crore for transportation and wholesale businesses) is mandatory.
Furthermore, the following FBOs qualify for Central FSSAI registration, regardless of their turnover or business size:
- Food businesses that operate in two or more states.
- Importers and exporters.
- Businesses dealing with proprietary and non-specified food products.
- Businesses involved in food, health supplements, and nutraceuticals.
- Food businesses engaged in radiation food processing.
- Food business activities conducted at Central Government agency premises.
- Caterers, restaurants, canteens, hawkers, or small-scale retailers situated within railway station premises.
- E-commerce food businesses.
Large-scale businesses in the following categories also require Central FSSAI registration:
- Food production (excluding milk and meat): A capacity of more than 2 metric tons per day.
- Milk procurement, handling, and collection: Exceeding 50,000 liters per day.
- Slaughtering: More than 50 large animals, 150 small animals, or 1,000 poultry birds daily.
- Storage: Capacity of over 10,000 metric tons.
- Transportation: Involving more than 100 vehicles.
- Hotels: Those with a five-star or higher rating.
- Vending machines: More than 100 vending machines located in two or more states or union territories.
The Central FSSAI registration is granted for a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years.
Documents required for FSSAI Central License:
- Form B for Central License
- Disclosure form declaring all features stated are true
- Authorisation letter to apply for an FSSAI central license
- Cancelled cheque copy
- Self-declared copy of the Food Safety Management System Plan
- Passport-size photographs
- Copy of rent agreement or the documents of the property
- Copy of NOC by municipality or panchayat
- Business papers (if the business owns a food factory or base)
- Rent agreement model (if the office premises is a leased property)
- Self-declared copy of the Food Safety Management System Plan (additionally)
- Copy of the electric power and water bill of the business community
- Copy of the Aadhar card of the owner or manager of the company
Procedure to Obtain FSSAI Central License
How to Track FSSAI Application Status
- File Form B: Fill out Form B and submit it to the licensing authority. Keep in mind the basic turnover criteria when doing so.
- FSSAI officials scrutinize the application: The licensing authority will send your application and the required documents to the concerned officials for scrutiny.
- FSSAI officials inspect the business premises: The FSSAI will send designated officials to your business premises to determine the level of compliance with the FSSAI's recommendations. Any non-compliance could result in the cancellation of your application.
- Approval of the application and grant of the license: Once the licensing authority approves your application, you will receive the certificate within a few days. After receiving the certificate, you can commence your business operations
Note: Displaying the certificate at your business premises is mandatory for all license holders.
The FSSAI informs applicants of the status of their application at various stages through SMS or email alerts. Applicants can also track the status of their application by entering the application reference number issued after submitting the application to the FSSAI on the 'Track Application Status' tab on the FoSCoS website.
FSSAI Registration Status Stages
The different stages of the FSSAI registration status can be viewed by tracking the application status.
- Application Submitted: The applicant has submitted the FSSAI registration application.
- Application Received:The FSSAI has received the application and is processing it.
- Application Reverted:The FSSAI has reverted the application for necessary modification or clarification.
- Application Under Review: The FSSAI is reviewing the application.
- Application Approved: The FSSAI has approved the application and is issuing the registration certificate.
- Registration Certificate Issued: The FSSAI has issued the registration certificate to the applicant.
When the FSSAI registration status is displayed as 'Application Reverted', the FSSAI authorities have reverted the application for necessary modification or clarification. The applicant must submit the response within 30 days from the reverted date to avoid the risk of application rejection.
The FSSAI registration status will be displayed as 'Registration Certificate Issued' when the FSSAI authorities issue the FSSAI registration certificate. The applicants can download the certificate by logging into the FoSCoS website.
Benefits of an FSSAI Central License
Obtaining an FSSAI Central License is not just a regulatory requirement but a strategic move that can bring numerous advantages to your food business. This crucial certification signifies compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) regulations and can set your business apart in the competitive food industry. Here are the key benefits of securing an FSSAI Central License:
1. Legal Compliance
Adherence to food safety regulations is mandatory for any food business. With an FSSAI Central License, you demonstrate your commitment to compliance with these regulations, minimizing legal risks and potential fines.
2. Market Expansion
The Central License empowers your business to operate on a larger scale. It enables you to expand your market reach beyond your state's boundaries and take your products to a national or international level, opening up new opportunities for growth.
3. Consumer Trust
An FSSAI Central License enhances your brand's credibility and builds trust among consumers. It assures them that your products meet high standards of safety and quality, leading to increased customer confidence and loyalty.
4. Access to Export Markets
For businesses engaged in importing or exporting food products, the FSSAI Central License is often a prerequisite. It grants you access to global markets, allowing you to tap into international trade opportunities.
5. Competitive Advantage
In a crowded food industry, having an FSSAI Central License sets you apart from competitors. It demonstrates your commitment to food safety and quality, which can be a compelling selling point for customers.
6. Consistency in Quality
Compliance with FSSAI standards necessitates rigorous quality control measures. By maintaining these standards, you ensure consistent product quality, reducing the likelihood of product recalls and reputation damage.
7. Improved Food Safety
An FSSAI Central License ensures that your business adheres to stringent food safety regulations. This not only protects consumers but also your business from potential foodborne illnesses and related liabilities.
8. Government Recognition
With a Central License, your business gains official recognition from the government. This recognition can simplify interactions with regulatory bodies and streamline administrative processes.
9. Better Financing Opportunities
Many financial institutions and investors look favorably upon businesses with an FSSAI Central License. It can open doors to better financing options and investment opportunities to support your business's growth.
10. Long-Term Viability
Investing in FSSAI compliance is an investment in the long-term success of your food business. It ensures that you can operate with confidence, knowing that you're on the right side of regulations and consumer expectations.
Obtaining an FSSAI Central License is not just a legal requirement; it's a strategic move that can transform your food business by enhancing its credibility, reach, and competitiveness. It's an investment in the safety and quality of your products, which ultimately leads to customer trust and loyalty, setting you on the path to sustainable growth.
Why Choose Ecfile for Your FSSAI Central License?
At Ecfile, we understand that navigating the process of obtaining an FSSAI Central License can be complex and time-consuming. That's why we are here to make your journey smoother and more efficient. Here are some compelling reasons why you should choose our services:
- Expertise: We have a team of experts well-versed in the intricacies of FSSAI regulations and procedures. We'll ensure that your application is accurate and compliant, saving you from potential delays or rejections.
- Saves Time: Our streamlined process minimizes the time and effort you need to invest. We'll handle the paperwork and coordination, allowing you to focus on your business operations.
- Reduces Stress: Dealing with government agencies and regulations can be overwhelming. With Ecfile, you can relax knowing that we have it all under control.
- Personalized Guidance: We offer personalized guidance to understand your unique business needs and tailor our services accordingly. Your success is our priority.
- End-to-End Support: From application submission to follow-ups and inspections, we provide comprehensive support throughout the entire process.
- Accuracy Guaranteed: We double-check all documentation and applications to ensure accuracy, reducing the likelihood of errors or rework.
- Timely Updates: You'll stay informed at every step of the process. We provide regular updates on your application's status.
- Cost-Effective: Our services are competitively priced, ensuring you get excellent value for your investment.
- Comprehensive Solutions: We can assist a wide range of businesses, whether you're a large manufacturer, importer, exporter, or a business with specific food capacities. We've got you covered.
Choosing Ecfile means choosing efficiency, expertise, and a stress-free experience. Let us help you secure your FSSAI Central License, so you can focus on what matters most – your business.
Contact us today and take the first step towards hassle-free compliance.